Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP server question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gymbeef

Technical User
Sep 18, 2002
US
Not real familiar with the technicalities of the internet here. Unfortunately, I'm working on an app that performs email right out of Access. The app requires specifying the SMTP server you're connecting to, and I have a pretty good conceptual idea of what that's all about, but I'm having a hard time with the nuts and bolts of it.

My question is this: If I'm on a home cable modem through say, att.net, but do my email through hotmal or aol, then which is the actual server being used? Would my app specify the primary ISP as the mail server (e.g., mail.att.net)? I wouldn't use hotmail or aol as the SMTP server, right? You get an email account with the ISP service, but I don't use it as I've had hotmail and AOL forever.

simply put, you cant do this. "Why" you ask. Well, because Hotmail and AOL are not SMTP. You would have to use a 3rd party component to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back