Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

smtp server help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keendev

Technical User
Jan 23, 2006
PH
Hi,

I have application server and Cf MX installed on it.
I need to send email through Coldfusion by using cfmail?

Can I install smtp mail software on the web application server and use it on my CF application and send mails using the cfmail? thanks in advance. =)

Is there free smtp that I can use or that you can recommend? pls advise.

regards.
Keendev

Can I install smtp mail software on the web application server and use it on my CF application and send mails using the cfmail?

Yes. Though you can also configure ColdFusion to use an external server (like a corporate mail server) by entering the smtp information in the CF Administrator (Server Settings > Mail). Bear in mind that may not work if the the external server does not allow relaying (ie to prevent spam).

Is there free smtp that I can use or that you can recommend?

Google should turn up many free servers. Any one of them should work with ColdFusion, assuming it is configured properly. I have not used any free smtp servers in a live application, but have used hMailServer for development in the past.

----------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back