Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP server for Task Scheduler emailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicM

Programmer
Sep 24, 2001
US
Hi folks,
I'm using task scheduler in my Win7 Pro laptop to set up reminder messages. I can easily set it up to display a message on my laptop at the required time. Works just fine. But I decided to add another action that will send an email to me which I would be able to access from my tablet PC.

When I start setting up the Action for the task, I'm required to enter a From address, To address, subject and text of message. But the scheduler also wants an SMTP server. Here's where all of my clues have been used up. I have no idea what I need to enter into this field. Without an entry, the OK button on the Action pane remains grayed out thereby not allowing this Action to be registered.

I tried looking thru several Helps online. There was some indication about turning on some Windows programs/services; but the info from Microsoft was addressing IIS 6.0 and none of the instructions matched what I was seeing on screen. Win7 uses IIS 7.0.

On my old XP machine (which is no longer functioning) I recall seeing an SMTP entry in the machine services. But when I check the services in Win7, the only thing that comes close is an SNMP trap service.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Vic

Check your E-mail Settings and see if your Outgoing Server setting has an SMTP address that you can place in the Task Scheduler box.

":Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) servers. This outgoing mail server handles the sending of your e‑mail messages to the Internet. An SMTP server handles only the outgoing e‑mail, and is used in conjunction with a POP3 or IMAP incoming e‑mail server".

"E‑mail server addresses usually have the same format. Most ISPs (named “myisp” in this example) have server addresses like this:
Incoming server: pop.myisp.com (or imap.myisp.com, if they use an IMAP server)

Outgoing server: smtp.myisp.com"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back