Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradMcCuller

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2004
US
For the purposes of evaluation, we're trying to run an eval copy of Brightmail (which requires IIS SMTP) on the same box as our Imail server. While I realize the ideal setup would be to separate the two, we're not in a position to buy a new machine just to evaluate software, so it's share a box or nothing at all.

The problem I'm having is with the SMTP relay between the two SMTP services running on the machine. Incoming email relays perfectly, going through Brightmail, hitting the IIS SMTP service, then relaying to our Imail SMTP service. The only problem is our outgoing mail.

The setup is currently like this:

The IIS SMTP service is set to relay mail for a remote domain, which is set to our domain. It is also set to forward all mail to a smart host, which is set to 127.0.0.1. In the General tab of the virtual SMTP server properties, under connection, I have outgoing SMTP set to 26. The Imail server is currently set to listen on 26.

Also, the relay is currently locked down to our external IP addresses (our mail server is colocated offsite).

I'm pretty sure the problem is that IIS is relaying the incoming mail, but trying to deliver the outgoing on its own, and since its set to send out on 26, the messages aren't going through. They're definitely not hitting our Imail server because they aren't showing up in the logs. Is there a way to set IIS to relay the outgoing mail to another SMTP server, as well as the incoming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back