Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP? POP3? MAPI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieIT

MIS
Apr 9, 2003
US
Please forgive the simplicity of this question--I'm new to all of this.

I have a Lotus Notes 5.08 Server. Someone recently asked me what mail protocol Lotus Notes uses: SMTP, POP3, MAPI, etc.? I'm afraid I do not understand the difference between them (if there really is a difference) and what Lotus Notes uses.

Could anyone help me?

Thank You!

Hello,

Lotus Notes can use all three. By default, Notes will use SMTP for internet mail, and Port 1352 between Domino servers. POP and MAPI can be configured as well, but I don't have experience with these protocols on Domino. It's easy on a Notes client to setup a POP account, but haven't come across it too much in the world of Domino. hope this helps.

Rgds,

John

Thanks for your response. So if a user on my LAN sends an e-mail to another user on the same LAN, what e-mail protocol does Lotus Notes use?

If both users are on the same Notes Server, and LAN, each Notes client will connect to the Domino server on Port 1352 to connect to the appropriate mail file. When they send an outbound email, the 1352 connection is made again, and then Domino sends it to the Internet via SMTP. If the client location document is configured to "Mail\Send outgoing mail: directly to internet", then the client will lookup the Domain locally and send via SMTP. Hope this helps.

Rgds,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back