Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP mail via IIS problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitelInMyBlood

Technical User
Apr 14, 2005
US
Unsure I know how to correctly describe this. I have two systems, one old, one new, both running XP-Pro (SP3) w/IIS and trying to send smtp mail. The old system works, the new system doesn't (can't send smtp mail). IIS looks to be identically configured on both machines. SMTP Smart host also identically configured. (mail-relay1.mycompany.com)

SMTP mail goes out immediately on the old system.

Clue: On the new system, SMTP mail waiting in queue is sent immediately upon rebooting the system, but once queued mail is sent you can't send any more without rebooting again. (each time the system is rebooted, queued mail is sent during the startup routine)

Any ideas on what to look for? Both systems are on the same domain and same subnet. Pulling my hair out looking for this.
Thanks.

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

Problem found. Symantec services. This also explains why the system was able to send mail during the reboot sequence. The mail was getting out before the (POS) Symantec AV software was fully loaded.

The old system uses McAfee. Now we know why.

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back