Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP (gfi mail essential v8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

novistech

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2003
US
I am having problems setting up gfi mail essentials v8 with my exchange 5.5 running on NT4. Exchange running on NT4 box and the GFI is running on a different box(win2k) which requires setting up windows SMTP virtual server. When I telnet to the virtual server I could send and emails to the internet but when I telnet to my exchane box I can't. The error is 550 relaying prohibited. GFI tech support will only support GFI products and not MS. I can receive outside emails without a problem. My exchange is setup to forward all messages to host (192.168.2.6) the relay server. Exchange IMS is set to reroute incoming smtp mail send to: domain.com.
Please advice
vicki yang

Hi,
Not sure what exactly you are having problems with.
We have setup several mailessential filters, on separate win2k servers, without problems. As long as your exchange is set to forward to the ip of your mailessentials box, and mailessentials is set to send mail to your exchange server, the only other critical element is to make sure your mx records point to your mailessentials box, not your exchange box. Make sure to make all necessary firewall changes as well.
It is a fairly easy process, with the only difficulty, deciding what to do with spam, since it does not tightly integrate with exchange 5.5, so your choices are somewhat limited.
For additional info, fee free to email directly or reply to this thread.

good luck

Lloyd Cutler
Executive Network Services
lloyd@execnets.com
818-904-9900

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back