Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP errors 4000 4006 4007

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariov

Technical User
Nov 27, 2001
GB
All,

I am really giving up on this. I just started working for a hosting company and my 2 SMTP servers are getting hammered with 4000 , 4006 and 4007 event id in the event viewer. Sometimes the queues are not moving unless the servers are rebooted.

4000:Unable to bind to DNS.
4006:The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt.
4007:Unknown mailbox or user (That is a my summary of this error)

We are running the following (all w2k3)

Two SMTP servers , 2 Exchange Servers.

I have been looking at the MS website and i havent had any luck . As well most forums i read was mentioning to remove the External DNS from the virtual SMTP server on the Exchange servers which i have not done as I need to be sure it wont cause more issues.

As well on the SMTP servers we are running GFi which i am getting the impression might be causing us some issues too.

The DNS forwarders on the SMTP servers are the same althought they have a different order (do not ask me why as I am trying to clean up this mess).

The ipconfig /all on both SMTP servers give me different DNS results (i though i say that just in case) ..

All the exchange DNS settings point to an internal DNS server.

Can anybody please assist ?

Regards,

Mario

MSCA, CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back