Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP error 551

Status
Not open for further replies.

dugr

MIS
Feb 20, 2004
US
I have a user who is having some emails returned with the following message:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: RE: (????-??????????)EF Series Speaker Cabinets
Sent: 7/11/2005 2:32 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

user@domain.cn on 7/11/2005 2:34 PM
There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
<mail.mydomain.com #5.5.0 smtp;551 User not local; please try <forward-path>>

My user gets this message intermittently when he sends email to 2 different domains in China. The remote domains are on different servers. Other users here are setup similarly (Outlook 2000/Exchange 2000) and have no problems emailing to these domains.

Could someone tell me what this error could be indicating?

Thanks,
Doug

Thanks Chris,
I've read up on the error. It still doesn't make sense, the error we're getting doesn't give a forwarding address, it just lists "<forward-path>".
If the 2 remote smtp servers know the respective mailboxes are on another host why aren't they giving the correct address. Is this a misconfiguration on the remote servers or is there a valid reason why "<forward-path>" would be reported?
Doug

Sounds like a problem on the other end. Not much that you can do about it if their server is barfing!

Chris.

Chris A.C, CCNA, CCSA

We just upgraded to Exchange 2003 and started recieving this error message when email is sent to one individual with the name "nanjing" in his email address; looking up nanjing I found that there was a 'nanjing massacre' with rapes/murders, since you have stated the China connection, I'm wondering if it is occurring due to spam filtering/blocking of some sort....

Were you able to find solution as I also am running Exchange 2003 and have exact same error with recipient in China.

I haven't found a good solution.
My user said that all the bounced emails have question marks in the subject line, I assume those are characters the email client couldn't decode.
sbaker may be correct about this being caused by China having some type of cultural filter on their gateways.

This is the copy of the NDR.

Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 1:24 PM
To: someone@pub.sz.jsinfo.net
Subject: Undeliverable:RE: [??????????????]RE: Last email

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: RE: [??????????????]RE: Last email
Sent: 09/22/2005 12:50 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

someone@pub.sz.jsinfo.net on 09/22/2005 1:24 PM
There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
<mainserver2.polarome.com #5.5.0 smtp;551 User not local; please try <forward-path>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back