Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisperkins

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2004
CH
Please help a WSS novice.

How do I configure the connection to my Exchange 5.5 server - what is the smtp address of my Exchange. Is it just the ip address or is it something like "smtp@lcd.com"

Do you need to configure the SMTP service on the WSS server?

Cheers,

Chris

Hello Chris,

well the smtp adress of your Exchange server could be anything actually. It depends on what name you have given it in your DNS. It could be something like smtp.yourservername.com or mail.yourservername.com. If you have the IP address you should be able to use that. And if you do have the IP adress you can easily from a command prompt of your computer get the name by either doing an nslookup and put in the IP adress of your server. or you could just do ping -a ipadress of the server (although that resolves the IP to hostname it might be so that you have several DNS names for the same server). Your system administrator/DNS Administrator should know this information.

Regards,
Thoimas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back