Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP Auth required from a relay: how do I get around this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deseomar

Programmer
Jul 17, 2008
US
Hello, I'd like to describe an issue and see if this sounds familiar to anyone, or if there is a solution that I have not thought of yet.

CAUSE: My ISP (yeah, it's comcast) began blocking port 25 inbound so my personal mail server was no longer receiving mail.

RESOLUTION: I worked through a new DNS re-router to change the port that would now receive mail: from port 25 to port 587. It took me a while to get the routes pointed correctly, but I finally got the messages to route, get through my firewall, and hit the mail server. YAY!

NEW PROBLEM: After some IP and DNS routing issues, I finally got things to work, the email that gets sent finally arrives at my mail server. However, the mail server (Alt-N MDaemon) now requires AUTH from the incoming DNS re-direct.

BIG QUESTION: How do I configure MDaemon mail server (or any other mail server, for that matter) to accept the mail from the new re-route server? Mail now re-directed to the new port ALWAYS comes from that route (mx-routes01.editdns.net). Where in the configuration settings of MDaemon do I set it up? I've tried including the host name and the IP address into every WhiteList list I can find, added it to the trusted host name list and everything. I'm at a loss, since it's impossilbe to configure the re-route server to provide AUTH credentials to my mail server. MDaemon now replys to every mail reuqest with : 530
Authentication required (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll try anything at this point.

Thanks in Advance.
ChrisM

I was able to get this resolved by correcting the SMTP port and the MSA Port on the mail server.

Please disregard or delete.
-Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back