Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMSing through PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

giridpi

Programmer
Dec 5, 2003
IN
HI

Does anyone have an idea of SMS (Sending Short Message Service to Cellphones) from a computer. How can we use that, whether an internet connection is enough.

Anyidea of websites which provides free SMS to send message globaly.
provides the service but it had stopped it.

Most, if not all, provider gateways have an incoming SMTP-to-SMS protocol in place that shopuld allow you to send small text emails to a specified device and have them delivered as SMS messages. There are lists available that list the SMTP server address to use in the to field, all of the providers I have sen use something like: ##########@server.address.com as the target address to send an SMS message to ##########.

There are a lot of products out there that use this functionality to send SMS messages. One of the best I have seen if your wanting to implement your own system is probably Notepager. If you download the demo version ad send a few SMS messages through via SMTP a little monitor window opens up and you can actually watch the SMTP communications.

I don't have any links to SMS gateway address lists, but I do know there are free lists availale out there that I have used in the past. Google would probably be your best bet there.

There are a lot of prodcts that use GSM modems and such, but I have found the SMTP to SMS type services are generally quick enough. I wrote my own MX Query and sending components and generally average anywhere from a 2 second turnaround to 2 minutes (tested using cingular phone and sprint phone, various times during day/week/month). Trying this a couple years ago I was lucky to get any messages at all to my sprint phones, but it looks like most, if not all, services have sped up this process. Just remember that if you send a message through an intermediary SMTP server it will slow down the message as it waits in the outgoing pile on that server and any other intermediary mail servers.

-T

[sub]01000111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01100110 01100110 01100101 01100101 00111111[/sub]
The never-completed website:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back