Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMSEXEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

edsev

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2002
US
There was a similar posting on this. I am getting the the infamous:

"The instruction at "0x14541c5a" referenced memory at "0x00000008". The memory could not be "read"

Then the SMSEXEC service is terminated.

I am not running software metering. I have reset the site. I have checked the memory. I have checked the crashlog. this is what the log has:

Service name = SMS_EXECUTIVE
Thread name = SMS_SCHEDULER
Executable = D:\SMS\bin\i386\smsexec.exe
Process ID = 2212 (0xac0)
Instruction address = 6c374060
Exception = c0000005 (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION)
Description = "The thread tried to read from the virtual address 00000018 for which it does not have the appropriate access."
Raised inside CService mutex = No
CService mutex description =""

I have tried to simplify everything by deleting my packages and adverts. I also removed the security feature pack. I have run Windows 2000 service pack 3 just to be sure. I have checked all my other secondary sites and logon servers. They have all been rebooted and they all have adequate drive space, and they all seem to be running fine.

I have SMS 2.0 with SP4. Should I run SP4 again?
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yes...run the SMS service pack again. In some cases Windows 2000 SP3 changes some WMI permissions. Rod Trent
Microsoft.MVP.SMS
=======================================
Main site: =======================================

I have run SP4 and am still getting the same problem. Dare I try SP5?

OK I nixed the SP5 idea and concentrated on the log files. Since it was the scheduler thread causing the problem I looked at the sched.log file. After staring at it for quite some time I noticed that one job kept showing up in the log file. I deleted that particular *.job file. The SMSEXEC service has been up ever since. I did another site reset just to be sure.

Hope my pain and the search for a cure helps someone else in the future. :) Hang in there my fellow SMS admins... you'll get used to the pain... hehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back