Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS & Wake on LAN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Just a quick question born of ignorance.  Does SMS support the Wake up on LAN feature available on Dell Optiplex Series computers?  And secondarily, are there any other software products that support the Magic Packet technology of Wake on LAN besides Lan Desk Management Console from Intel?  And finally, can a packet be constructed via programming to wake up a pc so that Novell's ZenWorks and the Netware Applications Launcher can push down software updates?  <br><br>I know two out of the three questions are not related directly to SMS, but I am trying to get a quick education on this for a research project at the office.<br><br>Thank you.

As far as I know, SMS 2.0 does not support Wake on Lan yet but I would think that is going to be an upcoming feature either with the next SP or with codename Emerald.

Heatmiser

Hi, I work for 1E Ltd and we have a product called SMSWakeUP which wakes PCs up remotely in order to do an SMS deployment which I think is what you were asking for. It's a fantastic tool because without it a large proportion of your PCs which are turned off will not install the package you are advertising, meaning that a member of staff will have to spend time updating these PCs. Check out our SMS products at If you are interested in any of the products please don't hesitate to email me adrianw@1e.com and I will be happy to help you with any queries you may have. AJ.

Agreed...the 1E Wake-on-LAN product is the best solution you can get without developing it yourself. Rod Trent
- formerly SWYNK.com
Microsoft SMS Installer ISBN:0072124474
Admin911:SMS ISBN:0072130229
IIS 5.0: A Beginner's Guide - ISBN:0072133724

There are two main considerations for Wake-on-LAN integration with SMS:

-advertisement integration, so when a mandatory advertisement is due a magic packet (and directed ARP packet, as this is required for some PC sleep modes) is sent automatically to the PC.

-SMS console integration (so an administrator can wakeup a collection or a PC on demand)

Other things to look for are:
-ability to cross routers if directed broadcasts are disabled (this is default in new Cisco routers and is a security recommendation)
-timezone support
-scalability (the SMS primary should not be killed by such a service)

Finally once you can wake up PCs there is no point keeping them on at night. You can save lots of money and increase PC life by switching off PCs at night.

As far as I know only one solution exists that does the wakeup properly and it is from 1E They also have a shutdown solution that checks for unsaved documents. I think they have a beta version of the shutdown tool that even saves documents automatically before shutting down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back