Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS Unique Identifier on Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaccaMunro

Technical User
Sep 26, 2002
GB
I am currently trying to remove duplicate SMS ids from client PCs. I do not have the NEWUID.exe file as our Technet CD has gone missing. So am trying to use 20clicln.bat /scrub to remove the SMS client and to remove the local SMSCFG.INI. I know this approach removes two sources of SMS ID information from their PC. SMSCFG.ini and SMSUID.DAT however there is still one area where the ID is held "The Registry" - Is there anyway I can remove this key from a Logon script on a users PC (no admin rights)? Thanks Macca

If you go to you will be able to find an updated version of newuid.exe there. It works very well in resolving the problems you described.

To find it, select the Downloads link in the green bar on the left and then choose View Section followed by SMS 2.x.

On the screen that displays choose last page and then pick page 19. [As of 9/27/2002] You should see a link to New Unique ID

Pick this link to download the newuid. You will also need the SMS Installer to compile it. You can get that from Microsoft if you need it.

Finally, I've used this tool along with psexec in the PSTools suite from to push newuid.exe out to the client machines.

Hope this helps,
Scott Pascoe
MCSE, Planned IT Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back