Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS Text Messaging system setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOlinski

IS-IT--Management
Dec 21, 2010
US
Good afternoon!

Hopefully this is in the right/best forum.... We are looking at different ways to communicate with some of our clients and customers. One of the ways we are looking at would be text messaging. Such as how your bank may send you a text that your account recieved a deposit or they send you your account balance in response to a text you send them or how radio stations may do contests.

Has anyone had any experience in setting up an SMS system in their environment?

I'm not sure if we should use a a "stand alone" type all-in-one system that has the software and built-in GSM modem(s) that you can hit with custom API calls or if we should look in to using a more powerful server with either a dedicated line of some kind or a slew of GSM modems.

We are talking about just sending informational text messages at this point, but I am sure having some way for the person to opt-out if they change their mind would be nice, so we would need to be able to do two-way communication.

Based on our current clients that would utilize this and potential growth over the next several months, we would need something robust enough to send and recieve up to 500,000 text messages a month. I know it sounds like a lot, but we do a lot of work with clients that have millions of customers and we're just figuring a fraction of that would recieve text messages. I'm still doing some research in to this, but thought it wouldn't hurt to check with others to see if they've done anything like this before and can offer some advice, assistance or words of wisdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back