Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS Table Deletion (We need to delete Mif generated SQL tables) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpoandl

MIS
Jun 23, 2000
US
So..our company wanted to computer serial numbers in our SMS site database. Therefore, we purchased Computing Edge (now altiris) Inventory Solutions. This product creats MIF files that generate new tables in the SMS database.

we ran into a problem with the product where duplicate GUIDs were produced as a result of this product. CE has released an upgrade to address the problem. However, we want to get the CE product out of our environment.

We have used the Back Office Resource Kit tool DELGRP.exe to delete all the tables that are related to CE. In addition we have manually removed the SQL Stored Procedures related to the CE tables.

The problem is we still think SMS is trying to locate the CE tables. I've noticed that before the tables and the stored procedures were deleted, it took a total of 15 seconds (This test was done with CE tables already in the SMS database.). After I ran DelGRP.exe and manually deleted the Stored Procedures, I noticed that the time to expand the HARDWARE INVENTORY tree takes twice as long. I believe SMS is still trying to "look" for the CE tables. The period of time it takes to TIMEOUT is longer than the time it would take SMS to actually find the data. Therefore, we are in a situation where it takes longer to view the Hardware Inventory when the CE tables and the CE Stored Procedures are removed.

Any thoughts about how to remove SMS SQL tables?

I had a similar problem with CE software and DMTF.
I removed the groups with the delgrp.exe and deleted the Stored Procedures manually. I also found that it still left little bits behind.

The way I deleted these was to run WBEMTEST.EXE and connect to my SMS server (\\SMSServerName\root\sms).
Click on ENum Classes and select the Recursive button.
If you then look down the list you will see some entries connected with CE, delete these and stop and start the SMS services on the Server.

These instructions might not be to clear as I trying to remember the instructions, as I haven't used SMS in about 8 month and I lost the document I created on the steps you need to follow.

I hope this helps
Damocles

Here is the complete instructions:
1. SQL query in order to obtain all classes
SELECT GroupClass FROM GroupMap
2. Use DELGRP.EXE
Ex: DELGRP.EXE "MICROSOFT¦XXX_YYY¦1.0"
3. Remove the stored procedures:
Ex:dXXX_YYY_DATA,pXXX_YYY_DATA,
dXXX_YYY_HIST,pXXX_YYY_HIST
4. Open WBEMTEST.EXE
Connect with the namespace \\SERVERSMS\root\SMS\Site_ZZZ