Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS Specific Product Report Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pogop

Technical User
Jul 22, 2005
GB
Hi All,

I would be most grateful if someone could help me or pointme in the right direction...... i would like to be able to get a report that shows the licence/set-up key that has been used to install the Software that is listed in the Specififc Product Report.( If that makes Sense)

Im not sure if this can be done or not, im a newbie to SMS so stil finding my feet with it.

T.I.A for youe help

The only way to do this would be if the key was in/on a certain registry key and was readable from that key, you would probably need to modify the SMS_Def.mof file to read that key or make a mif file that would read it.

Theres also some third party software which claims to do some of this. Take a look at PSSoft... they have some license management stuff that plugs into SMS and does license key management in addition to other stuff.

You could also record the key upon installation (via a custom script or transform) into WMI or the registry and use the def.mof suggestion to scoop it up. This of course doesnt help for stuff already deployed.

One of the challenges with doing this is most vendors do their own thing and dont have a standard location for storing the key. (wouldn't that be nice!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back