Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS Site Code Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreichek

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2005
DE
Hi. I have the following issue. I have installed Systems Management Server 2003 in an active directory environment and then installed the Advanced client. I had the problem with the server showing that the clients are not installed, just Assigned:Yes. Then I decided to uninstall SMS (but the SMS client remained installed on the workstations, probably wasn't a good idea) and install it again with a different Site Code. Now the clients are assigned with the old Site Code. Is there a way to make them discover the new site code without visiting each workstation and clicking Discover in the Systems Management Properties window? Thanks to all who wish to help.

---
Jordan Jordanov
Network administrator
Faculty of German Engineering Education and Industrial Management
Technical University of Sofia, Bulgaria

There are a few things that should work.

You could download Corey B, tools to any computer collection.

You could run a logon script that would change the site code (edit the XXX) and perhaps take away the echo

Set smsClient = CreateObject("Microsoft.SMS.Client")

WScript.Echo "Client is currently assigned to site " & smsClient.GetAssignedSite

smsClient.SetAssignedSite "XXX", 0

WScript.Echo "Client is now assigned to " & smsClient.GetAssignedSite

Set smsClient = Nothing

Thanks. I did it with a startup script - ccmclean.exe thus uninstalling the client and then another installation. It's not the cleverest way, but it worked. :)

---
Jordan Jordanov
Network administrator
Faculty of German Engineering Education and Industrial Management
Technical University of Sofia, Bulgaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back