Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS Server Consolidation and Migration to AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

lundb

Technical User
Jul 23, 2002
US
I am looking for best practices and/ or technical docs.
I am currently in the planning phase.
The goal is to implement a new Windows 2000 AD with fewer servers. Our Existing SMS infrastructure was based on the SMS 1.2 design criteria. Hence, all Primary & Secondary Site Servers are on Backup Domain Controllers for Resource Domains. The Central Site / Senior Site is a member of the Master Domain. Some of the Primary Servers have SQL on a different Server.
For example there are 1 CSS,10 PSS & 10 SSS. The plan is to go to 1 CSS, 3 PSS and say 15 SSS servers where the SSS would share functionality with File & Print, WINS, DHCP & GC. The Windows 2000 AD would have 2 Domains an Empty Root and the Enterprise Domain.

Has anyone seen any papers, notes from the field, tech articles,....etc. on this type of effort ?

I should have included that the current SMS Infrastructure is SMS 2 Sp2. The New Servers will be SMS 2 SP4 or higher.
Not sure about the post SP4 Hot Fix Roll-up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back