Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS sending patch packages multiple times 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfAr

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2008
Greetings,

I've recently taken over the administration of an established SMS system. I'm running SMS 2003 in the environment. I have no problem building and getting the packages delivered, the problem is that it keeps sending the same packages out to systems where the software is already installed. My understanding is that, before SMS pushes a package out to a client, it's supposed to run an inventory update tool to determine if the update is already present before attempting to install. How do I stop the SMS server from duplicating and reinstalling packages and updates that it's already installed on the client computers? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advancce

Its going to run the xml file repeatedly as its supposed to do that. The reason it does it is the advert is scheduled to do so I wouls imagine...but you want it to do that.

If your saying the same patch is installing over and over thats not normal, and could happen if the machine is never reboot.

Thank you for the response. Actually, yes, the problem is that the patch is running over and over. According to SMS I have over 1100 successful installations of the Jan 08 Microsoft Updates (with 0 failures). Problem is, there are only 490 workstations. I know that I have seen SMS log a message that it had not installed a package because the package had already been installed successfully. Now, for some reason, it just keeps installing over and over.

Thanks again.

Be well.

So that info is from the system status | Advertisment status.

Perfectly normal, as it will run the schedule of the "patch" program repeated to see if anything listed in the package has been increased/add or if there is a new xml file, or its missing something. This happens because the patches advertisement setting schedule re-occurs.

What you are seeing is perfectly normal, its not re-installing the patches, its re-running the scanner tool that checks to see if anything is needed. It will show as run again, everytime it runs that, but it doesnt mean anything was installed (other than perhaps a new xml file listing new available patches)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back