Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS (sccm2007) and WSUS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldHonda

Technical User
Feb 18, 2009
US
It's been a looooong time since I have used SMS, etc... So just a quick question. Is WSUS dependant on SMS or can WSUS be used as a standalone product? If WSUS can be used as a standalone product, how does one 'force' the updates to the desktop and run without admin priv's?

I know I'll have more questions...

Many thanks in advance!

It's the other way around, SCCM is dependant on WSUS, without WSUS being installed you won't be able to use the Software Updates functionality of SCCM 2007.

If you're going to be using SCCM to deploy your updates then all you need to do is install WSUS on to the server and thats it (you cancel the config screen), if however you want to go down the route of just using WSUS then you will need to configure that and a GPO to utilise WSUS (you would need to install the adm file for WSUS before the GPO settings appear correctly).

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Well, from what your asking SMS and WSUS are separate entities. (SCCM and WSUS are integrated)

To configure your WSUS server for client use take a look here:

MS actually used SMS with the ITMU and the WSUS servers at the same time (figuring they would be covered if one method or the other missed a patch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back