Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS REMOTE DETECTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

overide

MIS
Jul 16, 2001
US
My site server is only detecting static IP addresses for some reason. I have it configured to cover 4 different subnets. We have a small user base, so i have only one site server. Although, i noticed that it is only grabbing the Static IP addresses out of the whole scheme. Those statics that is obtaining are all from the same subnet also. SO my remote client is only installed on those computers. I have heartbeat detection set up and also the logon script. What might be causing this?
Thankyou

By "Heartbeat Detection (sic)" do you mean Heartbeat Discovery or Network Discovery? If you are using the logon scripts, then you have enabled Logon Discovery, right?

Assuming your Discovery methods are straightened out and everything should be working but is not, then I would suspect the clients can help you figure this out. If the clients are actually running the logon script you have created, then they should have some logs for you to look at.

Open the Logs folder on one of the clients (c:\%windir%\ms\sms\logs) and take a look at the various logs. they should tell you where the clients are failing.

Also, are you using any subnet masking in your network?

Hi,

This sounds more like a boundary issue to me (given the limited details.). You must manually define each subnet in your environment through the SMS administrator.

Please check the subnet listed for each machine found in SMS. Do these belong to the same subnet? (10.1.5.0 for example) Does this subnet match the subnet that your SMS server is on?

If so, (and if you have more than one subnet in your environment) then I would strongly think that you have a boundary issue.

I would also bet that the static addresses found belong to other servers and network equipment. In a small environment it would make sence that these are all on the same subnet.

I'm probably assuming way too much...please provide more details and maybe we can solve the issue.

Thanks...

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back