Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS profiles being created after client removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragnar71

Technical User
Sep 29, 2003
US
Hello all,

A server admin at our site logged into a domain controller using his normal user ID and thus the SMS client installed via our logon script. We do not want the client installed on our servers for various reasons. He ran client clean and removed the SMS reg keys that are recommended when removing the client. The SMS client appears to be gone from the server, but SMS user profiles continue to be generated on the server after they are manually removed. I've been searching the forums for an answer to this question, but have been thusfar unsuccessful. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Details
Server OS: Windows 2000 server
Server role: Primary Domain Controller
Domain type: Native Active Directory

The SMS client doesn't load on the server anymore, but the profiles continue to be created. I beleive this is due to the client failing to load, but continuing to try. This is the domain controller so there are no local groups. Is there any way to prevent these profiles from being generated? The profiles are named SMS#_machine name.domain name.#. The profiles seem to be created every hour. A 0K file called MS was created in the %systemroot% directory thus prevented the client from installing, but the profiles continue to be generating. Any idea what could be causing this.

Thanks,

Brian Thomsen

I've been told that software metering could be what is causing the profiles to be generated. The profiles are created approx every hour. I don't see anything that would indicate that software metering is running on this machine. Software metering is not running on our SMS server. The continuous generation of these profiles has really stumped me...any help would be appreciated.

I think I got it figured out. The 0KB file was added to the server in question, but the SMS server was still trying to install the client. I deleted the server's entry in the inbox folder and no profiles have been generated since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back