Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibearian

Technical User
Jul 4, 2001
GB
I have been told 'we want to send x number of customers a smsTEXT to let them know of our deals etc, etc'. So i looked in macromedia's exchanges and found a couple of SMS custom tags but i know nothing of the SMS network and i have some questions you guys may be a able to answer ?

1. is there a better place/site to ask these question ?
2. Most of the SMS providers seam to be in the states while i sit in the UK. so would it work us to uk and will it cost more if they come via the atlantic?
3. Do any of you have any experiance in this area and have any pearls of wisdom?

I know its a bit wishy washy but i have never dealt with this before so i am just looking for a direction .

Thanks for any help you can give

ibearian.

PROJECT H
mailto:ibearian@projecth.co.uk

I've dealt very little with sms text messaging, are you dealing with one provider?

The best solution I came to is to use their m2m email address if they have one.. for instance for alltel (that's a US service) the mobile-to-mobile email address for their custtomers looks like.

9999999999@message.alltel.com

But not all alltel customers have it.. but that's just my two cents though I'll be watching this thread for feedback too from someone who might be able to give you SMS references.

ALFII.com
---------------------
If this post answered or helped to answer your question, please reply with such so that forum members with a similar question will know to use this advice.

I have looked at the email text thing but in the uk we don't seem to have had much take up. I guess the mobile companys have cottoned on and want us to pay a per text price.

I am not looking at any provider particularly, best price (and severice) gets the job, kind of attitude.

Based in UK, US or maybe Tuvalua as long at it works ;-)

ibearian.

PROJECT H
mailto:ibearian@projecth.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back