Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS Install (Custom Setup)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basnbuk

MIS
Jul 31, 2002
US
I am installing SMS 2.0 SP2 within our LAN. Server A (member server) is the server SMS is being installed on. Server B (PDC and company SQL DB Server) is whrere I have created the SMS db prior to SMS Setup. When the setup is checking my system, I continue to get an error that SQL Server is not running on the server <<SERVER B>>. SQL Server is setup in mixed authentication mode. And I have tried logging on (through the SMS setup) with an assigned SMSSQLAcct with Domain Admin rights and the existing SQL sa account. Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance

You should let SMS set up the SQL DB for you during the install - this way all rights and access will be correct

This issue has been resolved. I found a post in a different forum that stated that SMS does not support named instances of SQL Server. I created a default instance on the same server and it installed without a hitch. Now SMS is up and running.

Thanks.

Hello there. I'm setting up SMS on a server and the setup program wants to know if the SQL server is running integrated or mixed security. How do I check that on the SQL server?

Hello:

You need to go to start + programs and start the SQL
server enterprise manager.

Expand the &quot;Microsoft SQL Server&quot; and &quot;SQL server
Group&quot; nodes

Here you will see the Local (Windows NT) or (Windows 2k3)
DB instances.

Right mouse click and select properties, at this point
select the security tab which will show the mode.

If the SQL and Windows security is checked your using
mixed mode.

If it's soley in windows mode your using integrated.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back