Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS Idiot needs help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmacman

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2001
US
I am getting a headache from banging my head against the wall. I am in the process of writing my first SMS Installer package to distribute to my user group. What I am trying to accomplish is an uninstall of a software product which can be executed via command line from a dos prompt with the following command c:\progra~1\Busine~1\Setup5~1.0\setup.exe -silent -skip -remove. I have not been able to get this command to work in in SMS except through the execution of a .bat file.

After the uninstall, I need to execute an install from a remote server. I have not been able to get this command to work either except through the execution of a .bat file. The problem is that when I use the .bat files, the SMS installer executes the .bat file and then moves on to the next command. So what happens is that it tries to do an uninstall and a re-install at the same time...

What I need to know is how can I get those command line commands to work via SMS Execution and not have to use a .bat file, and how do I get the SMS script to stop processing while the uninstallation and the installation are working? Hope this all makes sense... Someone please help

Thanks
B

Have you already tried the following:
start /wait uninstall-section
start /wait install-section
exit

Hope this helps you !

Cheers,
Chris

Did you put the whole command line including the switches in quotes? ie. "c:\progra~1\Busine~1\Setup5~1.0\setup.exe -silent -skip -remove" If you dont use quotes... sms might not include all your switches in the one command line.

Maybe if you go on Edit, Installation Properties in SMSInstaller, on the Global tab, make sure that 32-bit Windows (32-bit EXE) option is selected. This could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back