Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS History question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerz

MIS
Sep 10, 2004
US
I first started on SMS 2003, and have dealt with the product since before Sp1. But I've never seen/loaded/used SMS 2.0 (and I've heard I'm lucky for that).

Anyhow, the company I work at now has been kind enough to assign me to manage the SMS 2003 product. So at a recent security audit, I'm flagged because there are a half dozen Domain Controllers with wide-open shares named 'SMSLOGON'. I've never heard of such a folder, but research shows it to be a holdover\remnant of SMS 2.0, which used to run here before I got here. I would like to just delete all these, but I've noticed the logs are still updating (though not with any useful or current info I could see).

Anyone with experience in a similar environment have advice? Can these shares just go away without causing issues?

Thanks,
David J.

As you say the SMSLOGON is something from the SMS 2.0 environment. I would first only remove the sharing and see if that is causing any issue to your current SMS environment. If not then you should be able to delete them.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,
GSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back