Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS Distributes software with what account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremy750

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2002
US
I can advertise a package that I created (god that is a painstaking process) and even get it to start unattended at the client once they logon but...I am having problems with a portion of the install. I uses sms installer to watch me install lotus notes client. I used an H:\ for the users data directory (the h: is their home drive they get delivered through their logon script) and C:\ for the program files. If I run the sms installer made executable manually with admin rights on the user, the package works perfectly. If I run the package advertised (with administrative rights selected on the properties page of the package) I always get an error that says it could not open a file on H:\notes\data\agentrunner.nsf check to make sure you have access to this file.
I don't know what the hell is going on.
Help please.

****What admin account is used when you select the radio button that asks if you would like to use user's rights or administrative?*****

When select for SMS to install with admin priviledges it will go ahead and us the SMS Token account created and added to the local admin group on the PC's.

When you select "run with admin rights", you are requesting SMS to elevate rights on the local machine. Without a user logon, this right alone does not provide network access outside connectivity to its SMS CAP and DP (therefore no access to H: without user logon). If access to H: is necessary you'll need to run "only when a user is logged on".

If you check "use nt software installation account" (for NT devices only, not Win9x), you are allowing use of the software installation account which has been granted access to the network beyond the SMS CAP and DP. It would not have access to personal home drive shares.

When you select "run with user rights", you are requestiong SMS to use the user's rights for the local machine and network access.

If your target devices are W2K/NT with low rights users, you'd probably want to run "only when a user is logged on", and "run with administrative rights". You may need to use the software installation account if your program needs access to the network beyond your CAP and DP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back