Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS Client Install Issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtorres

MIS
Sep 25, 2002
US
I recently deployed SMS Clients via the login script option. Now when computer show up under SMS (Collection -> All systems) Some computers show the sitecode= (site code name), Client= YES, and Assigned= NO.

The following Script was automatically added to all my logon scripts used within my network. Is this correct?

Microsoft Systems Management Server (start)
SMS Build 1493

call %0\..\smsls
Microsoft Systems Management Server (end)
REM Microsoft Systems Management Server (start)
REM SMS Build 1493

call %0\..\smsls
REM Microsoft Systems Management Server (end)

I just don't understand why 7 out of the 100 or so computers are showing up YES for clients and with the Site Code information filled in, but the other 100 or so are not.

Any help or information appreciated.

Do you have all the subnets included on the site setup?!? If you have (Assigned=NO) then there is no SMS Site that is assigned to those IP addresses (ie Subnet) You must have all subnets you want included by this SMS site entered in the boundaries tab.

I made the change to the SMS server and added the correct Subnet Mask to the boundaries tab.

Will clients automatically begin to change from (Client=NO) to (Cleint=YES) and (Assigned=NO) to (Assigned=YES) or will this change take place next time that user logs into the domain.

Thank for the reponse. You help is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I'm having the same problem - all of my subnets are entered correctly, but only 3 out of 500 discovered machines are set to Client=yes

Any help would be appreciated,

Regards,

Dylan Costigan.

Am having a similar issue, Dylan.
Roughly 1/3 of the machines I'm working with have been discovered but have Client=no. (See my recent post of 11/26/02.)

If you made any progress with this, would you send a hint my way?

See thread22-415127

FWIW (I think the following is true)

client=no means system_disc.client is 0 or null (discovered but no client components installed)

client=yes means system_disc.client is 1 (discovered and client components installed)

assigned=no means system_sms_assign_arr.sms_assigned_site is null (assigned to no sites)

assigned=yes means system_sms_assign_arr.sms_assigned_site is not null (assigned to one or more sites)

I would definitely start from checking the C:\Winnt\MS\SMS\Logs\Wn_Logon.log file for any errors installing the client. And also make all your Network Discovery settings are correct.

PeterN

I had this problem but found my solution in MS Article Q207429
The Server Service must be running. I turned on File and Print Sharing and installation are working.

I have had the same issues. I have several workstations that do not have the client at all. I also deployed sms clients via logon scritps and still have had issues. The first thing I did was set my subnet and everything else before I set the installation methods. Be sure the client installed properly. If the install did not occur on the client(s), be sure that the domain users group has rights over the sms folders. It you don't like the client=Yes and the Asigned=No, uninstall the client by running the C:\WINNT\MS\SMS\CORE\BIN\cliuns.exe. Then re-install the client by run the smsls.bat under \\%servername%\netlogon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back