Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS automated client install question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonTTgo

MIS
Apr 5, 2005
US
What's the best way to automate the client install if I do not want to deploy to every computer in the domain?

Would this be the best way?
Create sub OUs for the workstations that I don't want to have the client. Create a SMS collection that populates from the OU that I do want to get the clients. Choose install client on that collection.

If that is the best way:
What happens if new computers are brought into the domain and placed into the OU that gets the client? Would those new computers get flagged for client install after the collection updates itself to add the new computers?

Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks.

1st I would ask why you dont want clients on some, then how many and the % of how many you dont want want installed to the amount you do want installed.

If there was a commom factor on the machines you didnt want it installed you could build that logic into a logon script.

The question you asked above would it push out clients after new ones showed up in the ou...yes

Thanks for replying. The other servers and workstations which make up about 25% of the computers in the domain belong to another group. Those computers are mixed in the same OU with ours currently. I believe there is a common factor in the naming of their computer where they have 2 characters unique to them. Yes, I would like it to automatically push to new computers that get added to the collection after it updates. Also to throw into the mix, there are some Sun workstations here that run pc emulator cards that I am not aloud to install the client on. I am not sure about their naming convention yet.

Thanks.

You could create a logon script for the sms client install that would bail it had the certain naming characteristics so those clients would not get the client.

Sun workstations wont get the client as a client will only install on WIndows

Keep an eye on this thread:

as it will do what you want plus a lot more!! It should be ready in the next week or so.

Tim B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back