Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS and SUS Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2003
US
I am new to the SMS and SUS software. We recently got hit with a Virus that killed our Network. We have SMS Clients already pushed out to all our desktops and laptops. I installed SMS on one of our Servers that we dedicated to SMS with Windows 2000 SP4 and SQL 2000 with SP3. It is installed but I am not sure about where do I go from here. Does anyone have a basic Dummy guide on putting the simplest of scripts together something I can do to test pushing something out?? Any help I would greatly appreciate it. My next thing is I installed SUS on the Server but am unsure where to go from here. I see that it supposedly can Push out the Patches and keep the Pc's up-to-date but the Manual is very confusing. It is installed but I am not sure where I need to go from here. I think I need a Inventory tool?

My last question is the Server I have it running on has maybe 25 Gigs of Space at most and isn't the fastest of the servers...when I had SUS go out and grab all the updates it pretty much killed the server space. I think however that it might have been getting like SP4 in every language available out there and downloading it to the server. Anyways should I have a server with a ton of space and memory that is fast for SMS and SUS or I can go with some basic?? Hope I didn't ask to many questions. I thank you for any help on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back