Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS access issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgfs

Technical User
Apr 6, 2005
GB
We recently migrated to a new Active Directory domain. The SMS Server remained on the old domain. Since migrating, our new domain accounts have been added into SMS Admins. Since the migration, my local sms console has opened but items such as Site hierarchy, collections are empty. When I check the security on these local items, the security rights is correctly shown. When I "connect to site Database" the correct console tree items are selected but still no items are displayed. any ideas?

I was having a similar problem with a system I had built for myself to replace the aging Admin station that the previous IT guy had used. Most systems here use static IP's, and I had setup my new system DHCP (just hadn't setup a static IP yet). When I installed the SMS Console, Collections, Packages, etc., were empty.

After setting the static IP, SMS on this system is functioning as expected. I went back to DHCP, and SMS was broke again.

Unfortunately, the old IT guy had set SMS up long before I was here, and I didn't have the benefit of working together with him to know what he did. I'm guessing somewhere in the SMS server is a way to restrict what PC's you can connect from, separate from restrictions by username.

I know its not the same as the situation you had, but maybe you can find some similarity that will help. Good luck!

---------------------
I'd rather learn from other peoples mistakes than have them learn from mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back