Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS 2K3 Client Push Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwatnuv

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2003
US
I have SMS 2K3 installed in our test environment and i'm having trouble pushing the client to my desktops in my lab. I have configured everything and the client will push but it doesn't install the Remote tools and it doesn't show the client as being installed in the collection. I have configured everything that I know of on the server (client agents,client installation method, management point, BITS) but everytime I push the installation out I get nada. It's like it gets 3/4 of the way through and then stops. The desktops are W2K Pro SP4 and the server is running W2K3 Standard, SMS 2K3 w/ AD integration. Don't know if anyone else has ran into this problem but it's getting to be very annoying. I appreciate any help....

I've seen a problem like this. The key to resolving it is to look at the client SMs logs (at least this was the key to resolving my problem).

I noticed that my targeted Win2K machines were only partly installing the SMS client. The optional component would never install. I later discovered that my AD security policy was preventing the full SMS client installation. Once a fixed the security policy, the clients had no problem with the SMS installation.

I hope this helps...

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

I've had this problem too. When you check in the control panel, are the Agents showing as installed or enabled. My agents were only showing as installed , and when I tried to remote control in I was getting the message Remote Client not enabled.

On the advanced tab on the systems management properties on the client, the site code was left blank. I tried using discover but this failed. However once I manually filled in the site code, the properties of the agents changed from installed to enabled, and worked.

If anyone could tell me why I have to manually fix I would appreciate it.

In my case the SMS Site Boundary was wrong. After I corrected that (I added in our AD Site names), the clients installed fine.

Hi Everyone,
I've seen this error as well if your Active Directory schema is not extended and you left the advanced client properties to AUTO for the site property field. The reason I found to be the cause of this is that the auto site discovery field in the client agent properties (for advanced client) was enabled to AUTO by default but the schema attribute was not found and thus the client couldn't locate the sitecode on the GC for the SMS site. I typed in the site code manually on the client properties and it installed like you stated above.
HTH with the logic.
-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back