Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS 2003 Unattended Software Deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdinenna

MIS
Apr 14, 2006
US
I'm having problems deploying software w/ SMS 2k3.
Software that does not require user attention installs ok.
If the software install requires someone to hit "Next" or config install changes the deployment fails.

I had no problem deploying software with Active Directory. Upgrades were no problem too. Software installed without user interaction.

What I'd like to know is- can I put anything in the Command line option in the Program setup under Packages to run the install unattended?

I have downloaded the SMS Installer program to create scripts and repackage executables. I find it a bit confusing. Is there a good reference on how to use this program or a more simple way to install software without user interaction?

The software being istalled is created in-house and uses MSI to install. It is upgraded frequently and needs to be deployed frequently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vince

They need to create software that doesnt require someone to hit next, or that can use an MST file. If software doesnt have the capability to have a silent install, thats on the developer not SMS.

Thank you for your reply.

I ran the setup.exe with /s. I have also tried /uninst. neither worked. Would trying these 2 switches prove it's the software and not SMS?

When you say MTS, you mean transform-set, correct? This I haven't tried. I'll have to look this up and test it too.

Thanks,

Vince

Yes, as far as switches go you can run setup.exe /? and that should tell you what switches are available for that exe. That said just becuse some have switches doesnt mean they all do, it just depends on if the developer followed normal procedures when they made it.

MST files are for msi's and are the answer file for the application so it doesn't have manual walk through entries during the setup/install

I ran these switches:

msiexec /a /jm /i ENSetup.msi

msiexec /a /jm /i ENSetup.msi /qb & qn

The install count-down begins, but noting ever installs.

I checked setup.exe /?. For unattended it requires /passive.
I haven't tried this yet.

Thanks,

Vince

I can't get SMS to do anything.

Tried all sorts of software as tests. Nothing installs correctly.

Created a VB script to install software from a server. I scheduled it w/ Windows scheduler. The software installs fine. I even uninstalled from a scheduled task.

Setup the script on SMS to push to the client. The system status is successful, but nothing is installed.

The program for advertisement "00120057" completed successfully ("00100020" - "ENMenuInstall").
User context: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

You wouldn't know it, but I took a week long class on this, read 3 books and I can't get this thing to do anything correctly. What a waste of time. Where's the SMS for Dummy's book? AD installs didn't have half these issues!

If anyone has any idea how to deploy or install software from SMS and has any idea what I could be doing wrong, please chime in at any time.

Thanks,

Vince

Are you telling it to run a script or the actual program? I tend to stay away from telling SMS to run a vb script, and prefer to have it run the actual msi. SMS will only ask itself did what I tell it to run, run? If it was a script and it ran it, as far as its concerned the mission was accomplished. There are tricks to run scripts, and a lot of times you have to actually copy the script to the machines cache before running it....it really just depends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back