Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMS 2003 Site System Server Removal Failed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorySabre

Technical User
Feb 14, 2002
CA
Hi All,

I am currently putting in a new server (MP, RP, SLP, DP) running on W2K3 SP1 to replace a loaner server (MP, RP, SLP, DP) running W2K SP4. The new server is working fine and communicating with my SMS 2003 Site Server so I began the process of removing the various site system functions from my old server. My yesterday morning, I still had the Component Server and SLP still on the old server.

I performed a W2K3 SP1 upgrade on the Site Server and applied all the appropriate changes seen in Microsoft's SMS2003/W2K3 SP1 FAQ. Again, the new site system server was functionining fine after the Site Server was upgraded.
Seeing as how the new site system server was working fine with the update site server, I removed the SLP from the old site system server and that is when I noticed a lot of errors appear. This is what is being reported under
SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER Component Status:

------------------------------------------
SMS Site Component Manager detected that all SMS server components have been deinstalled from site system "\\SERVER". SMS Site Component Manager is
removing remaining accounts, files, and registry keys associated with the SMS server components from the site system.
-------------------------------------------
Could not read registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS" on
computer SERVER. The operating system reported error 997: Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.
---------------------------------------------
SMS Site Component Manager failed to remove all accounts, files, and registry keys associated with the SMS server components from site system "\\SERVER".

Solution: Review the previous status messages to determine the exact reason for the failure. SMS Site Component Manager will automatically retry this operation in 60 minutes. To force SMS Site Component Manager to immediately
retry this operation, stop and restart SMS Site Component Manager using the SMS Service Manager.
-----------------------------------------

Prior to the W2K3 SP1 upgrade, no permission changes were made on my old site system server. After the W2K3 SP1 update and an attempt to remove the SLP component triggers the errors. I've tried rebooting both the Site Server
and the old Site System Server with no success. I've assigned Everyone Full Control to the mentioned registry key and file/folders also with no luck. I've tried reinstalling the SLP and MP components back on to the old site system server and the errors are all pointing to the Overlapped I/O operation.

Does anyone know of a fix to correct this problem? I would like to avoid removing W2K3 SP1 because if at some point I need to install/remove SMS components on another server, I don't want to have to rollback the service pack level to be able to accomplish this. Since my old site system server is
going to be wiped clean in the future, is there any way to stop the Site Server from attempting to remove the components and flush out all remnants of the old system?

Thanks,

VictorySabre

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I did see the first Microsoft Technet FAQ link and followed that even before I noticed the errors appears. I don't have any firewalls turned on and did not run the Security Configuration Wizard.

The second link gets me a report that the article is not there. Is it missing something in your post?

And I looked at the last link and it does look very similar. Hopefully it does go away after a few days. I'm almost tempted to upgrade that old W2K Server to W2K3 SP1 to see if that gets SMS going to flush out the last bit of the component deinstall. There was also mention of W2K3 SP1 communicating with any older OS versions using machine accounts being a known bug. Is there any way around it besides removing SP1? (Permission changes?)

Many thanks!

I took a look at the Microsoft article and it doesn't match the problem I'm currently having. Still hoping that the problem will disappear at the end of the week. If not, I'll try upgrading the W2K site system server to W2K3 SP1 and see if that restores communications long enough to get the remaining SMS components removed.

This Hotfix is not avaliable for download thru the support website. However if any one need this Hotfix can contact Microsoft (free of charge). It will be a part of Windows 2003 SP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back