Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMP KERNEL for RedHat? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2003
US
Does someone know if i could take the KERNEL SRPM's from the RedHat 9 CD and compile it on my RedHat 8 machine?
Also if this action is possible then i would like to know if my Linux (after the new kernel was compiled and installed) will support the Dual-CPU in my Proliant ML370 machine?

Thanks for you time.

CCSA & CCSE Certified.

There are RH 8 kernel source packages too. Are you trying to get to a certain kernel rev version?
Have you considered compiling the kernel from source? It's pretty doable.

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

Thanks for your reference. I have good expirience with

Linux/Unix System administration but i've never expienced

yet with KERNEL compilation so i need to learn it now (I

know how to replace/install new kernel on Linux so i just

need to learn the copilation stuff).

I need to compile the KERNEL in order to achieve better

Hardware compitability and performance.

Where i can found a repository with the RH-8 KERNEL source

packages? and Where can i get some good instruction for

Linux (RH-8) Kernel Compilation?

You can go to the site below to download the latest RH8 kernel source:

After you've got the rpm of the source package, install it by rpm -Uvh. Then cd to /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-20.8 (in this case). You must read the README file first if you are the first time compiling kernel. Make sure you have at least 100MB space in /boot. General step to compile kernel is as follows:

cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-20.8
1. # make mrproper (to clear previous options, can skip for the first time)
2. # make xconfig (to bring up a GUI kernel menu screen)
3. Config your specific kernel options from the menu (y: enable, n: disable, m: compiles as module) and then save and exit
4. # make dep
5. # make
6. # make bzImage
7. # make modules (if you have choosen any module in the kernel menu before)
8. # make modules_install (install those modules)
9. # make install (installs the kernel image into /boot)
10. edit your default boot loader program (grub or lilo) config file properly (I prefer grub... it's safer)

Done, you can reboot the box and choose your new kernel. If anything go wrong, then you can reboot again and choose back the previous kernel using grub and modify the grub config file again or recompile the kernel.

Thanks a lot to eepico, your answer was straight and concise

In regarding to the "make xconfig" command i would like to ask if there is an alternative for a NON X installations which enable to make the Kernel configuration from a textual console?

Either
Code:
make menuconfig
(a curses based interface, similar to the X interface) or
Code:
make config
(will ask you about every option) should work.

//Daniel

When i'm usingmake menuconfig i'm getting an err mesg which said that i dont have ncurses, i check it out and foung the following ncurses on my system:

# rpm -qa|grep -i ncurses
ncurses-5.2-28
ncurses-c++-devel-5.2-28

so why/what the "make menuconfig" complains about?

You need to install the RPMs for the 'ncurses' libraries for your distro. 'make menuconfig' requires certain libraries to render the menus in colors, etc.

This is a common issue and is easy to resolve. Just pick up and install the RPMs for 'ncurses' version 4 or 5 and you're in business.

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back