Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Smoothwall DMZ and security question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSMJ

MIS
Nov 27, 2002
Hi Guys

Using Smoothwall, but cannot for the life of me get the DMZ to work. I cannot ping the DMZ card in the smoothwall box from the PC in the "DMZ" but smoothwall can ping the PC in the DMZ, as can a workstation in the Green zone with DMZ pinholes added for it. The PC in the DMZ can ping the router on the red interface, but will not connect to the internet - all this time the Green interface is sharing the internet connection from the Red interface perfectly. The hardware is OK, I have tested this setup and am led to think there is something wrong with Smoothwall. All help on this is greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, what do people think about running a webserver in the Green zone by port forwarding 80 and 21 to it? I would have thought this would be OK and that there is no need for a firewall on the webserver (now in the green zone) because natrually the Green zone is protected by Smoothwall's built-in one. What do you think?

Cheers

should suffice...but pls tell me that u r not using unsecure ftp(21), forwaarding or not...
there are plenty of free ssh clients out there for use..

good luck...

Yes, I am using port 21 for FTP and don't remeber having secured anything... is this a major problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back