Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Smooth transition between speeds in Premier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zygotesoup

Technical User
Nov 25, 2006
US
I have searched and searched and searched but still cannot figure out how to take a single clip and make a portion of the clip slow motion. Ex. Say I have a clip that we will mentally divide into thirds. Lets say that I want the first third to be at 100% the second third to be at 50% and the last third to go back to 100%. The only way i have been able to accomplish this is to cut it into thirds and change the middle section to 50%, but this makes a very abrupt speed change which I don't like. I want to make a smooth speed transition from 100% to 50% and back, but I just can't figure it out!!! Please help!!!

Time remapping, or speed ramping, is not included with Premiere. You can do it in After Effects.

In pre-Pro versions of Premiere, you could also do it with Panopticum Tools, a 40 dollar plugin.

Without extras, you are reduced to slicing up the clip, but if you want smoother changes you will need more sections and less difference in speed between adjacent segments than you seem to have tried so far. Tedious, but cheap.

ok thanks... i tried playing around with time warp in after effects but it took foooooorever (i have a dual core processor and 2 gigs of ram, so i wouldn't assume this would be an issue) to render and it didn't change the audio with the video.

Time remap doesn't seem to take an excessive time to render on my system compared to other effects. Well worth a try!

Hi

First I have to say that I'm a newbe in Premiere and I'm using Premiere Elements 3.
So I may not know what I’m talking about but I was trying to accomplish the same thing.

I divided the clip in 5 pieces, then I start the first long segment at 100% the next at 75% the center segment at 50% then I reverse the process to get back to 100% again. Because the interface is so easy to work with this takes only a few minutes to do. If you want the transition to be more gradual you could use more segments.

This looks much smoother when I play it back then it did when I just switched to 50% for the center segment.

Mike

Exactly. As I said in my first reply, more segments and smaller changes between segments gives a smoother speed change if you are only able to chop up clips and apply constant speeds to each chunk.

I tried that technique and was not happy with the results or the time it took to accomplish it. I assumed that there was a much easier and faster way that would result in better... well...results. The time warp effect in AE 7.0 has a great result but takes far too long to import the clip, change the time warp settings/key frames, export the clip and re-import it back into Premier. In my opinion, this seems like an effect that people would use so frequently that they should make it present in Premier and work on the rendering times to make them faster. But thats just me.

It certainly is not just you. Lots of people have been asking for such a facility for a long time now.

You might like to add your voice to those who already have requested time remapping in future versions of Premiere via

I would but I want results NOW!!! Thanks for your help though!

Another approach is to take your speed varied clips and place cross dissolves between them. By shortening or lengthening the dissolves you can smoothly blend each transition. Just checkerboard them on two video tracks so you can easily adjust the length of the dissolve and the clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back