Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMO db.StoredProcedures not finding stored procedures in different schema by name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdbowling

Programmer
Mar 28, 2003
US
Hello, Everyone.

I am using Sql Management Objects (SMO) in Visual Studio 2012 C#.

I am attempting to instantiate a new StoredProcedure object from the db.StoredProcedures Collection.

When I try to find a stored procedure in the [dbo] schema. It works fine.
Code:
StoredProcedure sproc = db.StoredProcedures["MyDboSprocName"];

When I try to do this for a stored procedure in another schema (my other schema is called EA), it will not find the sproc.

Code:
StoredProcedure sproc = db.StoredProcedures["MyEASprocName"];  //sproc = null.

I know that the stored procedures from other schemas are in the list because I can access them by index.

Code:
StoredProcedure sproc = db.StoredProcedures[195]; // this is the sproc I am looking for "MyEASprocName"

I tried qualifying the name better to no avail using EA.MyEASprocName, [EA].[MyEASprocName], and {[EA].[MyEASprocName]}
I have no way of knowing the index beforehand. I just added a stop point and watch point and scrolled through the collection. That's how I was able to find the index number for the example.

Any insights on what the SMO is doing here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Patrick B

I am not sure about this but I read several comments on that problem.

Usually the default schema for a user is [dbo] and when SQL looks for an sp by name it looks at the default schema for the user and then [dbo] if not found. Maybe you should try to set the default schema for the user you are using to connect to [EA].

Hello, Everyone.

While I do not completely understand why I can't seem to find the stored procedure I am looking for by name straight from the collection, I did come up with a solution.

If you use Linq, you can find your item.

Code:
StoredProcedure storedProcedure =
db.StoredProcedures.Cast<StoredProcedure>().SingleOrDefault(sp => sp.Schema == "YourSchemaName" && sp.Name == "YourSprocName");

I hope this helps anyone who runs in to this in the future.
Patrick B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back