Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Smit function keys not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

teakandme

MIS
Jun 10, 2004
US
In smit, when you see a + sign, you can normally hit f4 to get a valid list of choices, but on this new system, the function keys do not work as they are listed at the bottom of the screen. Is there an environment variable that needs to be set/exported such as TERM? I tried setting TERM=vt220 as well as TERM=vt100? Any ideas on how I can get my function keys to work with Smit?

Someone in it has that problem, he uses esc+4 instead.

as a temp fix, you can fall back to using <esc> plus the numeric number of the F key value. for instance <esc>4 for the listing.

you can try lft for the terminal type. see if that works.

What terminal emulation software are you using?

I want to be good, is that not enough?

I am using putty, but hostexplorer is the same way. I tried exporting TERM=xterm and still have the same problem. Esc + 4, etc...does work, but still interested in how I can set it up to use the keys indicated at the bottom of smit of the different options.

Just to be clear, that's Esc followed by 4, not held at the same time.

Also, in PuTTY settings, under Terminal->Keyboard there's an option to set function keys to ESC[n~, which is what I'm using (although the function keys don't work in smit until I also do TERM=xterm).

- Rod

IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

A Simple Code for Posting on the Web

Make that "followed quickly by", as there is a fairly short timeout period after you release Esc.

- Rod

And you need to use the number keys on the qwerty side of the keyboard, NOT the ones on the numeric keypad over on the right of the keyboard.

I think he knows how to use escape keys by now guys..
I use SecureCRT with a VT100 Terminal emulation and the normal Fkeys work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back