Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMF Forum - sendmail not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikheil

Technical User
Aug 8, 2022
BE
I have an Alma 8.6 Linux server, On it are two apache- name based forums and sendmail.

I set up sendmail purely to send mail, not to receive (I have a different mail server in a different server.

Until recently, I was using CentOS 7.3 and in the last 2 weeks, I installed Alma 8.6 and the latest version of sendmail, but copied the sendmail configuration from my old CentOS 7 server to the new Alma server).

I also copied the apache configuration and the two SMF forums. Nothing has changed in the setup, but I have a problem with the mail system.

I have a somewhat unconventional setup:
When I was working in 2006, I created a Domain we'll call it MyDomain.com. It was hosted in Canada. We were being flooded with spam.

I asked the Hosting company to create a subdomain office.MyDomain.com and I setup my own mailserver here in my office and changed the MX record of MyDomain to point to MyMailserver.office.MyDomain.com. We have our own DNS server.

Everything until now has worked fine through upgrades of CentOS and SMF.

Mail is addressed to user@MyDomain.com and comes to my mailserver. If SMF contacted a user, it would go to sendmail and get sent to user from me@MyDomain.com.

That is no longer happening, so something must have changed OR I've made a silly mistake (I'm a Novell NDS/eDirectory person and by no means a Linux 'guru', so I need a bit of help here).

If I send mail from the Alma command line. it arrives from root@almma-86.office.MyDomain.com. If I send anything from SMF it just disappears.

Main from the SMF Forum SHOULD be sent from user@MyDomain.com

What info do you need to be able to point me in the right direction here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back