Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMDR 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

VPNing

Technical User
Nov 5, 2002
US
Can anyone who has installed or used and SMDR please let me know your thought/experiences.

I have a customer that has deveral telemarketing people and he wants to be able to view their call logs and listen in on calls from time to time for quality.

It is my understanding that the SMDR can simply be plugged into a printer and it goes. But I have also been told that this is raw data and would be tough to decipher.

Is there a software package that should be used or am I mis-informed?

Tnanks in advance

I'd recommend Cubix Call explorer for call detail recording.

If anyone else is interested they can collect information from distributed keysystems/PABXs using a clever buffer device that can be polled via dialup or over an IP WAN.

If it's voice recording your looking for then perhaps you should look at Algo solutions as you'll find T1/E1 voice recorders frighteningly expensive. This approach lets you record upto 16 extensions on a single pc with equipped with their software and lets you search for specific calls on time and date and all that stuff.

You're probably looking in the region of $300 > $400 per seat for their solution. BTW it's Nortel certified and works with N* BCN and M1.

Regards

John

there are a lot of call accounting systems out there. many are quite pricy some are not it takes a while looking. Most of the cost according to their vendors is the LD cost tables, with the price of LD changing so quickly now and people rarly using least cost routing anymore the monthly updates of all carriers LD tables is not something that is always needed. CallWhere is not too bad, they skip the LD tables and let you put in your carrier's costs per minute.

alternatively instead of putting the data on a printer you can capture the data and import it to a DBF or spreadsheet and let the customer manipulate it himself. If you use a simple report format then it can be read with a minimum of training.

----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Mind like a Steel trap - Once used forever clamped shut.

You could also try tap-it software. It works on many systems, and they offer great tech support. I will be installing it on an MICS w/call pilot 150. I will post the results.

VPNing, depending on what you want it can be fairly easy to write something... I wrote a series of Perl scripts that run with a mySQL backend and PHP frontend to view the reports... if you have some programming knowledge and the SMDR book, it is pretty easy to work up something to meet your needs...

Late response, but I did install the tapit with SMDR6. Works great. Had SMDR6 Set for 115200 but the pc with Tapit could not run faster than 9600. It is as close to "plug and play" as you get.

lanstein, Would you be willing to expand on the programming you did to capture the serial information. I have the PHP/MySQL knowledge to parse the information, I just lack the know how on the data capture (monitoring/reading/responding). Thanks
-hans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back