Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMDR To PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

YooperEE

Technical User
Sep 26, 2003
US
I want to connect the SMDR port of my ACS R3.0 to the COM port of my server and write a brief Visual Basic program to store the reports in a database. I have a couple questions concerning the pinouts and COM parameters.

I looked through most of the postings in this forum and noticed a variety of pinouts described for RJ45 to DB25 or RJ45 to DB9, but most people didn't say whether they are using a straight or cross-over cable (I'm using a straight through). Also, the ACS manual says to use 1200 baud, No parity, 8 data bits, 2 stop bits with XON/XOFF, but I noticed some people in this forum are calling out 1 stop bit.

The SMDR port on the ACS is RJ12 (or RJ45 without pins 1 and 8). What are the functions for each of the 6 terminals?

For a DB9Com port on a PC, what are the functions of each terminal? Once I have this info, I can determine my own cross pinning.

What are the correct COM settings? If any VB progs read this, please list all the properties so that a TX by the SMDR will trigger the MSComm "OnComm" event.

Thanks!

I always use 1200 baud, 8 data, 1 stop, no parity. I usually turn off error control, and it seems either Xon/Xoff or hardware will work fine. I don't have the pinouts as I normally just use a 355 adapter with a straight through 8-conductor line cord.

Brian Cox

The SMDR/Admin pin out is as follows...
Using a RJ45:
-Pin 1- Not used
-Pin 2- DSR= DATA SET READY
-Pin 3- DTR= DATA TERMINAL READY
-Pin 4- GRD= GROUND
-Pin 5- RxD= RECIEVE DATA
-Pin 6- TxD= TRANSMIT DATA
-Pin 7- PTS= REQUEST TO SEND
-Pin 8- Not Used
A 355AF adapter just takes a RJ45 to a 25 pin interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back