Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMC USB wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

minuteman263

Technical User
Oct 19, 2003
US
I have a SMC USB wireless G network adaptor. The utility is set to open on the desktop every time you boot up. It has to run to work, but is there a way to stop it from showing on the desktop. There is no option anywhere to stop this. You can close it and it stays in the task bar on the right and works fine. If you take it out of the startup, it won't open, or link with the router. I just want it to run without opening on the desktop.
Any ideas?

You could right-click the Taskbar Manager, select Properties, in Notification Area, select "Customize" and then select "Always Hide" for the state of the offending icon. At least then it will stay hidden.

Tony

Users helping Users...

isnt there a setting start minimized?
u could try switch /minimized or -minimized

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

Right now I have it set to "start minimized". However it would be nice just to have it in the task bar.I'll take a look at it and see if a right click on the taskbar icon will do anything. I think that I already did that and it only showed "hide" which only works for that one session. Reboot and it's back again. Well, we'll keep trying.

It seems to me that if it's running, the icon appears. If you were to stop the program from running at startup, you could do Start->Run "msconfig" (without the quotes) and then Startup and uncheck the utility.

I have found that the built-in Windows utility is usually superior to third-party utilities so you could try un-installing the application and letting Windows install the driver and run its own utility. My experience with the SMC utility has been less-than-perfect so give this a try.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back