Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMARTUPS 2200 Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

newBPhoneGuy

Technical User
Dec 12, 2005
US
ok so i have a customer that has smartups 2200's and it died the other day due to batteries being dead so i get on site and come to find out the batteries have expanded a lot so i took the top off and a couple mounts and had to seperate the batteries in order to get them out.... the batteries were shot some even melted together......so my question now is....Does this happen often and what can cause it and is it likely to happen every time i replaace the batteries???

thanks in advance

I've never seen it happen on my SmartUPS 2200. The UPS self-test normally alerts you (in the app log) far enough in advance that you can order and replace the batteries before they totally give up the ghost.

Not only does the UPS alert you in the app log but, just in case you miss the alert, it gives you very annoying, audible beeps randomly until you replace the battery.

Cheers.

ok thanks for the input i guess the customer doesnt pay attention to that plus the fact that it was sitting in a room covered in saw dust i actually had to take a air compressor and clean the inside of the machine out.....guess it shows how much they really care about their equipment

APC has had a wide variety of battery problems over the last few years. They even issued a safety recall on UPS manufactured in 2000-2002. Turns out the batteries were prone to fires! That is one of the reasons I don't recommend their products. They have poor QC procedures. All UPS batteries are susceptible to failure due to environmental conditions but APC seems to have more than their share. I use MGE UPS equipment now. I think they are much better.

eric gallant

I've had the batteries expand on all eight of my SmartUPS 1400RMNET and 700RMNET units. It's a lot of fun removing them from the rack and completely disassembling them to get the friggin batteries out. Also, too many times the self-test just shuts off power to the devices. Gotta love APC quality! That's why I now buy Liebert.

-Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back