Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

smartstart boot fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
im trying to set up a 6400r server. When booting to smartstart 5.5, smartstart fails to boot with an error about windows needing to be re-installed. the drives in the machine dont have any os installed as far as i know. I even popped all the drives out and get the same error. How can i get into smartstart to do a system erase and set up the array?

any suggestions would be appreciate...

You may be better off getting the System Erase utility onto a floppy disk and running it from there, then trying the SmartStart CD again.

I cannot remember whether the System Erase utility is on the SmartStart CD, if not download it from the link below (the System Erase utility is under the "Software - System Management" section:

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

Yep, the system erase utility is on the smartstart cd. BUT, the error IS coming up during the smartstart boot. I get booted on smartstart, get the funky hippy van splash screen, it looks like everything is going to work and then up pops the error about Windows.. i KNOW its not booting into windows. Ive even popped all the drives out of the machine and booted and it STILL fails with that windows related error..

i will see if i can get the system erase on a floppy and try that... if i can find an old boot disk of some kind...

any other suggestions?

If you download it from the link above, you just need a blank floppy

"Insert funny comment in here!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back