Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Smartmedia, digital camera, PSP 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

macinyart

Technical User
Nov 10, 2001
US
I have a nice D-340L that has served long and well. When I bought the camera I also purchased a larger than supplied Smartmedia with about 16 MB memory. The camera handled this just fine for a long time until one day when I could not download the photos to the PC. I am using a USB card reader that works just fine with the supplied Olympus media. No additional software is required, just the hardware device installation and the proper driver. After I tried several times to reformat the larger media in the camera according to the instructions without success I discarded that media chip and bought another smartmedia chip, this time with 64MB memory. My camera records on it and displays the images on the LCD screen. My usb reader will show the icons for the images, but my software program, Paint Shop Pro7 says that the image is not a valid jpeg/jfif file. The camera thinks they are OK and will display them, but the chip seems to be corrupt or perhaps the problem is with the PSP. I don't know why the PSP doesn't recognize the images on the chip. Do you think the problem is with the PSP7 or the chip? Any help you give me would be appreciated. I did format the new chip in the camera according to the directions. Thanks. Jack.

Are you able to view the images in a different image viewer, like MS Paint?

mike

Unfortunately the answer is NO. MS Paint gives me "an unknown error occurred while accessing *********. Interesting. The camera is set to record jpeg format. Thanks for the prompt reply. Jack.

Can you set the camera to record in a .tif or some other format?

mike

Have you reformatted your smartmedia recently? I had a similar problem which reformatting fixed (you will lose any pictures of course).

I have since read that it is a good idea to reformat each time you have finished downloading to the pc.Anyone else got any views on this? Learn something new every day *:->*

Sorry should have read the original message more fully (or taken my tablets!) and I would have spotted that you had done it. Learn something new every day *:->*

Thanks to all for effort so far. Nothing has worked. Paint Shop will open the original Olympus smartmedia ( which has never been reformatted to my knowledge) but still will not not open the new card. I have tried to reformat a previous smartmedia card but the icons on the camera did not give me an indication that the card was actually reformatted. I did reformat this card when it was new and the camera seemed to indicate that it was a successful reformat. The Olympus tech suggested that it sounded like a Paint Shop problem and that I should reinstall PSP. I did that and it still would not open the new card. It thinks the files on the new card are not valid jpeg files but when I right click on one and select properties I do see that they are jpeg files. Considering the failure to reformat the first aftermarket card after a period of time and what now appears to be a failure of reformatting the new aftermarket card I am beginning to wonder if the camera is actually able to reformat successfully. I have presented this to Olympus as a question to see what they have to say. Any further comments or thoughts from this group would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back