Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Smart-UPS 5000 - unable to configure management card

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisNNL

Technical User
Jul 18, 2006
GB
Hello all,

Have decided to try and get my UPS all set up on a network so that I can use the powerChute software, however I seem to be having some difficulty in assign the IP address to the system.

The Product:

APC Smart-UPS RT 5000VA 230V
P/N - SURT5000XLI

This model already has the Management Card Installed in it.

The Problem:

After connecting directly to the UPS via a crossover cable I began to follow the quick start guide in the manual provided by APC.

First setting my laptop up with a static IP and then using the Device IP Configuration Tool to scan for an unconfigured network card. The tool states that it could take 'up to 2 minutes' to complete. But 20 minutes later nothing had happened.

I then tried another method that was located in the manual, this was to arp the mac address and then try and ping -l the address, then finally telnet. However after arp'ing the mac address into my console the ping doesnt work.

I then considered maybe the cable was dud, after plugging a new cable in, the tool sprung to life, I quickly changed the IP address.

Now I am unable to browse to it or ping to it, despite being told the IP address was changed.

If I try and do this procedure to any of my other UPS's I cannot find them aswell. In short I have no idea how the one started working, only to stop again...and am a bit stumped to say the least.

Any help regarding this situation is appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Chris.

PS. my firewall is disabled during all of this.

Update:

just connected through a switch again and have managed to configure 3 of my boxes using the arp method.

However, the one box that responded to the device configurer (see first post) still doesnt want to let me do anything.

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back