Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Smart Array Controller reports.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADB100

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
GB
I have a Compaq DL380 G1 with the built-in Smart Array Controller. There is a 36.4GB drive installed and on boot up I get the error:

drive parameter tracking predicts imminent failure

I realise this needs replacing but is there any way this can be repaired?

Thanks

Andy

This error usually comes up when the server has detected that the drive has exceeded the thresholds for poor performance. This can range from slow accessing to physical errors on the disk

The problem with the HDD is usually contained within the sealed unit of the drive. Any attempt to remove the cover will almost certainly result in a loss of data as the HDD itself will be exposed. Best thing is to get the drive replaced as advised because if it fails, you could be left stuck.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

Thanks for the reply. If it is just a counter that is saved to NVRAM is there any way it can be reset?

probably but personally i would swapped the drive
it's has a high likely hood of failure

People sometimes pull the disk out and put it back in as that has the same effect (this causes the server to think the disk has failed, and RAID restripes back onto the reseated disk), but what you must realise is that by doing that you are potentially putting the problem back into your server.

I know of people who have done that before and the disk was faulty, and the errors on the disk somehow caused a corruption of the logical volume which resulted in data loss and the server needing a rebuild.

To save hassle, replace the disk :)

"It's true, its damn true!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back